Last February I attended my first blogging conference and roomed with my girl Chelsey over at Housewife to Hostess. We had some free time and so naturally, we headed over to stock up for the weekend at the local Trader Joe’s. As we were walking down the bread aisle, she turned to me and handed me a bag of cookies and said “You have got to try these!” I’m all for trying new things but unless it has an obscene amount of chocolate in it, I’m usually not interested. I could tell right away, that she was totally serious and a fan of these Trail Mix Cookies. After we got back to our hotel, I dove in, wondering how good can they really be, I mean….no chocolate??
Well, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised on how tasty they were. It was like trail mix…in a cookie (imagine that). However, after looking at the nutritional info I realized why they were so good.
Brown rice syrup (another name for straight up sugar)
So I recreated them, a bit healthier but just as delicious. And I have just saved myself a 45 minute drive each way to get my fix.
- 1 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ¾ coconut oil, softened
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 ½ whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries (I use the 50 % less sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream together with electric mixer oil and honey in bowl. Add salt, vanilla and eggs
- In separate bowl combine baking powder, flour and oats
- Add dry ingredients into wet, slowly.
- Stir in sunflower seeds, cranberries and peanuts
- Scoop into balls and place on cookie sheet (I use a silpat mat)
- Bake for 9 minutes
- Cool on wire rack and enjoy