Even though oatmeal is associated with a healthy breakfast, unfortunately the majority of people don’t prepare it the way it should be eaten. For example, adding heavy cream is a popular thing to do, and makes the oatmeal very rich. Also brown sugar is the #1 sweetener that is used in making oatmeal delicious…also not healthy. A fast timesaver in the mornings, instant oatmeal is literally THE WORST oatmeal ever, nutritionally speaking. So now you are probably scratching your head thinking, great, either I can’t eat oatmeal ever again, or if I do it will taste horrible. But don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. I love eating hot oatmeal, especially in the the winter. It’s the perfect breakfast and way to start your day. Here is a 5 minute (no joke) recipe that will restore your faith in oatmeal.
- ½ c rolled oats
- quarter of an apple diced (leave skin on)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBSP almond butter
- 1 tsp honey or desired sweetener
- Boil one cup of water in small saucepan
- Add oats and apples
- Allow to cook until all moisture is absorbed and apples are soft (around 4 minutes)
- Remove from heat and add cinnamon, almond butter and honey.